Our first performance will be in the church and they requested a special bio (different from the one we will use once we start touring) for their program. I took out my pen, scribbled information on my alma mater and my degrees and... ... was... stumped. I usually continue with "You may remember him in..."- But they wont. And how could they all my past shows have been in either back home or at school... Nowhere near Ohio. Noting my involvements in North Carolina or Florida seemed out of place in this foreign place, and solely celebrating my awards and competitions seemed a little too arrogant for a church bulletin. So I ruled out shows and awards; This leaves organizations, which I am always very proud to plug whenever I can. But... I felt a little odd at the idea of being a member of the Upsilon Xi Cast of Alpha Psi Omega, I have certainly mentioned it in conversations a few times while being here, but to put it in writing almost feels like I'm lying about my age, creating an illusion that I am still in College. After Alpha Psi I usually say "When not on stage he enjoys singing with his fellow Toccatatones". This is true, I do enjoy singing with my Toccata-Brothers. But in context of the article it would make it appear as if I still sing with my collegiate a cappella group regularly, when, in fact, it is now only during special occasions. So I made a very short, modest, perhaps a little vague, Bio and gave it to the stage manager. Short bios always intrigued me far more than overly wordy articles anyway.
Random words remind me of songs from musicals all the time, but especially today, and under my breathe I would quietly sing verses of show tunes to myself. This lead the assistant director to inquire me about my brief american idol adventure. Its funny to me, It was nearly 4 years ago, and while I thought it was very exciting, I sometimes forget about it but everyone who happens upon the information (who didn't already know) finds it so cool. Even though I certainly hold other awards and recognitions over the past few years way above this one it was a nice little ego reminder at the end of my rehearsal.
You can always state basics, ie premiere of Love/Sick sang Carnegie Hall, etc
ReplyDelete