So today we worked more on the script, still addressing table work and interpreting the English lines into ASL. The process and the execution is much like speaking one line, but signing a different one entirely (in means of words, instead more poetically, delving into the deeper semantics behind the words being spoken). This being said, it is like we are preforming two scripts, not one. And while all the building blocs are there, the task of creating they signed script falls into our hands during this process. We havent yet made it through the whole script but thats because essentially not only are we addressing usual table work but also writing a script as we go along. It is long, it is different, but as I said before I love it.
That being said.
I was a little nervous this morning as I caught up on my monday night television online (I dont watch much tv but I keep up with about 3 shows... two of them come one monday nights) and I realized... in all the times Ive quoted Harry Potter or Glee, or wore a Pokemon shirt, or my Thundercats hoodie... not One person, has said 'Oh I love that show/book series/movie/game'... and when I were to ask someone straight forward 'Have you ever played/read/seen' I was responded with a polite. "No, not me"... I was scared perhaps even a little heart broken. It seemed no one around me had any of my quirky obsessions. No one here Cared who ~A is, or what a Kamehameha wave is capable of, or why Snape is such a tragically brave character, or when the Warblers made their first appearance, or where the Hob is in relation to the Seam and the Electric fences outside District 12. It turns out I was just asking the wrong people the right questions. I have yet to find a fellow GLeek or another person who is shamefully obsessed with Spencer and Emily BUT the other Musical Theatre Hearing actor does follow SMASH, and one of the Hearing actors loves Hunger Games and read All of the Harry Potter books. And best of all... I caught one of the Deaf company members reading a Dragonball Z manga on his iPhone (FIRST of all I just realized I need to ask him what App he was using because My manga app is in black and white... i digress) and I got so excited and grabbed his arm and asked him about it. He could probably tell I was a little overly excited, partly over my natural nerdy-ness and partly because I was so relieved to find exactly what I had been searching for! But instead of being creeped out by my enthusiasm he retorted with "You like Pokemon right? I saw your shirt!" We just kept going and going on starting with Dragonball Z, to Pokemon, to Avatar: The Last Airbender, our love for Harry Potter, and Star Wars. He hasnt read Hunger Games yet, but I brought along the first book to re-read before the movie comes out, and I said I would lend him my book when I'm done because he said he thinks it looks interesting.
It was a nice realization that even though we are all so different we have more in common than just our love for theatre.
I am so happy you are discovering others who enjoy the things that make you you
ReplyDelete